Is Mold Growth Affecting Your Health?

Statistics show that most people spend an average of 90 percent of their time indoors. We like to think our homes are healthy places to live and raise our families and that our offices safe to work in. But just how safe are they?

Molds and other fungi may adversely affect human health through three processes: 1) allergy; 2) infection; and 3) toxicity. Exposure to mold is not healthy for anyone.  However, the following individuals are at a higher risk than others for adverse health effects; • infants • children • elderly • immune compromised patients • pregnant women • individuals with existing respiratory conditions and allergies.  Airborne toxic mold spores can affect the immune system, nervous system, liver, kidneys, blood and cause brain damage

Everyone is exposed to mold in the outdoor air but exposure to indoor molds can accelerate aggravated conditions for some.  Some molds are more hazardous than others. For some people, a small number of mold spores can cause severe health problems.  For others, it may take many more.  Mold spores often cause adverse reactions, much like pollen from plants.  Some molds (particularly toxic molds) can trigger instant and uncontrollable vomiting in mold sensitive people.

There are many symptoms of mold exposure.  As a rule, the extent of symptoms depends on the sensitivity of the exposed person.  Allergic reactions are the most common and typically include: chronic clogged throat; wheezing and difficulty breathing; nasal and sinus congestion; burning, watery, reddened eyes or blurry vision; sore throat; dry cough; nose and throat irritation; shortness of breath; nausea; and skin irritation.  Other less common effects are: nervous system problems (headaches, memory loss, moodiness); aches and pains; and fever. If you have any of these symptoms, and they are reduced or completely gone when you leave the suspect area, chances are you have been exposed to some sort of allergen, quite possibly mold. (Source:  Center for Advanced Medicine, Encinitas, CA.)

We recommend you contact a professional restoration company immediately, if you suspect mold growth in your home of business.  The restoration company’s trained professionals will determine the source of the mold growth and mitigate the damage through the use of industrial-grade equipment and chemicals.  This will prevent more mold and mildew from growing and spreading.  The professional restoration company will also help you with your insurance claims if needed.

Medical treatment for mold exposure is available; however the problem will not resolve itself. Professional intervention by a restoration company is the only way to ensure the mold is eliminated from the home or business.

 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>